Sunday, July 15, 2012

Yesterday was breathtakingly wonderful!!  We went on an excursion through l'Intstitute to le Mont St. Michel and Saint-Malo.  I had been to both on my previous trip to France about 4 years ago, and they were my favorite spots on that trip.  And I am happy to say that nothing has changed and they remain my favorite part of France!

Mont Saint-Michel is like another world.  You go over a hill and all of a sudden, a giant castle island is in front of you.  It's amazing that it is still a practicing monastery, and has been since 8th century AD.  From the top, you can see for miles and miles.



In the 17th and 18th centuries, Saint-Malo was a fortress of French corsairs, who conducted raids on passing ships on behalf of the French crown.  The fortified wall still remains around the center of the town.  We climbed rock bluffs just outside of the wall and it was one of the coolest things I have ever done!



Yesterday was also Bastille Day, the French independence day.  Our bus got back just in time to catch the fireworks!  They were just as good as Michigan ones.  It was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment