Monday, July 23, 2012

Went to Normandy this weekend!  Such a beautiful area.  We took a train to the city of Caen Friday afternoon and stayed there for the weekend.  Saturday, we took a train and bus and visited the D-Day beaches and the American Cemetery.  So terribly sad, but very important for any American to see.  Sunday, we went to a World War II museum in Caen (http://www.memorial-caen.fr/portail/) and it was by far one of the best museums I have ever been to.  Lots of things to look at and almost too much information to take in.  It was wonderful.
This was my second trip to Normandy.  This time, I noticed that the beaches are not respected as monumental grounds...they are like regular beaches.  I found that to be strange, but maybe that is because I am used to land being somewhat preserved (aka Gettysburg).  Unfortunately we did not make it Pointe du Hoc (a well-known cliff area where the US attacked German bunkers on D-Day) to see the remains of German bunkers and the extremely hilly landscape made from bombs.  I remember that as the part of the Normandy beaches I found most interesting.  However, we did find two bunkers near a memorial only 5 minutes down the beach.  It is a queer feeling to walk through them and think what happened only 68 years ago.  I cannot even begin to imagine.
Overall, it was a wonderful, educational weekend getaway and I am so glad I visited the area again!







No comments:

Post a Comment