Saturday, July 7, 2012

Last night, I went across the river to another guinguette to their swing dancing night!  My friend Rachel's host mom took us and it was really fun!  We learned the basic steps and danced for a little bit, but compared to the French, I have two left feet....I did not last long.  Je préfère regarder les danseurs!

Prior to realizing I was never meant to be a dancer, I had class in the morning and then a Cours de cuisine.  We made galettes (like crêpes but without sugar) with ham, potatoes, egg, and cheese (including CHEVRE (goat cheese) which I keep forgetting to write about....it is the best cheese I have ever had).  They were delicious.  Then there was mousse au chocolat....also wonderfully yummy.  I have both recipes and fully intend on making them when I return.

I've been trying to think of things that I don't like here and I have compiled a small list:
1.  The dog poo.  The laws to enforce picking up after your pets are not enforced (if there are any) and it is left on the sidewalks...watch your step!
2.  The smell.  Obviously, sometimes it is not very pleasant...
3.  The price of a razor.  I had to pay 9euro/$11 for a razor with one refill!  I miss my cheap Meijer disposables.
4.  Not splitting the bill.  In Europe, they do not like to split the bill!  It always comes as one and it is such a pain to figure out who owes what when you have a group over 5!  Especially when you are out of cash and need to use a credit card...

But things I love?!  There are so many:
1. The food!--le fromage (especially chevre), nutella, la glace cassis (black currant ice cream), les rillettes (similar to a pâté), le millefeuille (yummy dessert)...the list goes on and on.  Even simple dishes, like salmon or chicken, taste differently than in the States because everything is so FRESH.  And they are garnished so simply, with just a mustard sauce or with nothing at all, but still have so much flavor.  I wish I could eat French food forever.
2.  The history.  There is so much history here!  And it is actual old history.  In the United States, we have history, but it is nothing compared to this part of the world.  The house I live in here was built in the 16th century and the cathedral it overlooks was built in 12th and 13th centuries.  There is nothing like that in Michigan!  It is truly amazing.
3.  The people...for the most part.  Nearly of the French that I have met are wonderful!  I love my mère d'accueil Hugette, my friends' host families, mes professeurs, store/restaurant owners, etc.  There are always those exceptions that are rude and unwelcoming, but I have had very few encounters like that while here.
I could go on, but there are too many to name!  I will spare you the details.

1 comment:

  1. oh, the chevre... because it's not pasteurized. Doesn't that make all the difference??? Too bad we Americans think we should mandate everything including cheese. Enjoy it while you're there!

    ReplyDelete