Sunday, June 3, 2012

     After waiting almost a year, I am finally in Tours, France for my summer study abroad!! I can't believe it's real; it feels like a dream.  We arrived in Paris from Detroit this morning and took a charter bus to the city of Tours.  At the bus station, our host families were eagerly awaiting our arrival.  I stepped out of the bus and into a mob of older French women yelling les noms américains in their adorable accents.  Much to my surprise, the woman closest to me asked "Kelllseyyy?!" and turned out to be my host mother!  Hugette seems to be a wonderful, kind older woman.  She helped me get my luggage and we drove back to her home....
     Her house is LIKE THE MOVIES.  No exaggeration.  There are winding staircases (4 of them!), tall ceilings, hidden rooms, and (one of my favorite things) a hand-held shower head.  I am here with Hugette, her son (in his late-20s), Keila (from Atlanta), Gabriella (from Guatemala), Nasser (from the Middle East), and a girl from Japan.  Hugette does not speak English and only three of the fellow students do, but French is spoken in the household, for the most part.
     After a few hours to get settled into my room, Hugette made dinner.  We had le poulet rôti (roasted chicken), des haricots verts (green beans), du fromage (cheese), du pain (bread), and les fraises à la crème (strawberries and cream).  It was fantastic!!!  I can't wait til the next meal.  Keila and I took a walk around Tours after dinner.  We walked down to the river and through the main street.  The city is full of beautiful old buildings and historic charm.  I look forward to learning more of its history.
    My close friends and family know how nervous I was to go on this trip.  Having been without a French class for over a year has proven to be just as difficult as I assumed it would be.  Hope it all comes back to me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment